Wednesday, March 4, 2009

How it began 11/7/08, when a reaction to Deplin destroyed my life

(I wrote to Dr. Phil)*Here is what happened: On 11/6/08 I was a 41 year old functioning woman, who took care of her family, shopped, cooked, laughed, was an avid reader, had close relations with my children. Then it all changed overnight. I was given a pill (Deplin) off label by a pa that I had a very severe reaction to.A 41 year old stable woman does not take a pill, have a reaction, and turn “mental” overnight. But I did, it happened, and destroyed my life!
I was not treated, have been and am going through hell. I want my life back! Please help me get my life back. On 11/5/08 I was given a pill deplin(off label) by a pa at doc office. I took it on 11/7/08 p.m. Within hours of taking it I began to shake uncontrollably, head tremor, burning inside and out, severe burning hands and feet, neuropathy, hard pounding racing heart, stomach cramps, unintelligible thinking, diarhea, muscle twitches, and complete insomnia. I developed an unexplained heightened state with no cause. Intense chills in body, especially in legs, tingling hands and feet, head tremor. Convulsive jerks, odd intrusive thoughts, and much more to describe. It has been intolerable. In the last 100 plus days I only slept 1-4 hours using benadryl and 30-40 nights have not slept at all. Poison Control said it could have been one of the other ingredients in the Deplin that caused the reaction, I guess I will never know. My brain litterly shook in my head for about 6-8 weeks, my head shook so hard, and I cant believe that the medical professionals couldnt help me, or get that I had a reaction to a drug that caused it.
No one shakes like that for weeks on end, not even nerves could do that!
I was not treated properly, first hospital never heard of drug, next a doctor said I was nervous and covered my mouth due to the uncontrollable shaking, he had no interest in my story or what happened to me, as he thought I was just nervous due to the severe uncontrollable shaking, I wish he would have really listened and taken me seriously, but I think not having insurance may have something to do with why I wasnt treated properly for the drug reaction to Deplin.
***I also lost the ability to laugh, smile, watch tv, or read, have normal conversations and relations with my children that same night 11/7/08. I have children and a family that needs me back. Just days before taking this pill I was fine, happily planning a remodel of my kitchen. You can confirm all I am telling you with my family and friends. I did have occasional anxiety attacks, which passed easily, and nothing what so ever like this. Od of reg folic acid can cause central nervous system damage. Deplin is different and goes straight to the brain. Poison control said I could have had the reaction due to another ingredient in the Deplin.
I cant explain why this happened to me, but it did, and is the 100 percent truth. Why the p.a. gave me this pill for heavy mentrual bleeding is beyond me. Why she lied I have no idea.
I Really need your help asap. I lost 15 pounds in first month and only weigh 92 pounds. Previous to this I took 12.5 mgs of diazepam for some anxiety attacks, had taken 6mgs for 14 plus years. I have NO history of any mental illness, this can be confirmed. I have no ins. and ended up seeing a psychiatrist on 2/6/09 who put me on 60mgs of valium to try to help me, but for some very odd reason it only helps the awful heightened state with no external cause, to an extent less expected by the doctor. I still am not sleeping much as he expected this dose would help either. I am so afraid of being at this high dose, but have no choice. I have no compulsions, no bipolar symptoms, or anything that anyone else thinks matches any exact mental illness heard of.
As I said, I have no history of mental illness, and have at least 40-50 people who can attest to that, as well as medical records.
If it were just nerves, the symptoms would stop with the high dose of valium? I get chills constantly, but also sweat at night, and developed joint/connective tissue pain, and popping in joints. My heart races more at night when trying to sleep and upon awakening, but at other times as well, as well as continued internal shaking, tingling in hands and feet. I am in serious trouble! I am afraid for my life and future! I do not have insurance. I am still having symptoms at this high dose of valium, it doesnt make sense. Some symptoms had subsided some, such as the neuropathy over the past few weeks, and the jerking while half asleep had subsided, but I still have long way to go. Maybe it cant be explained, but it happened. How is it possible that 60mgs only partially effects me?What else could be happening that this reaction changed in me, physically and mentally? Something terrible happened to me that destroyed who I am and my life. I have NO history of drug use/abuse, I do not drink at all, and have never abused my prescription. I don’t know where else to turn.If you have any resources available to help me, please contact me.
I need someone to listen to what happened and help me. I am so scared being at such a high dose of Diazepam (valium) but do not have any other choice right now. I am at the end of what I can take anymore of this and afraid for my future. My husband needs to be out looking for work, and is on unemployment, he cant fix this and is tired. I pray you will hear my pleas today, and help me. I am asking with all my heart and prayers that you will help me asap.Thank you so very much for your immediate consideration,
Sincerely,Jennifer mjstac@comcast.net
The valium is the only thing sustaining my symptoms somewhat, so I don’t have options, but I now have another battle to face with being on such a high dose of this drug. I am still not myself! In December a NP at the Huntsman Cancer Inst. Spoke to a pharmacist there who said what I described happened with the Deplin reaction, was a seizure reaction to it. The only person who has tried to make sense of what happened to me when I took the Deplin. I just know it happened and changed me physically and mentally within hours of taking it, and I am not the same person at all. I want my brain to function normally again, More than anything!I want to feel pleasure, happiness, joy, and have the relations I once had with my family.It is tearing them apart. And I am holding on for dear life. The PA had only met me twice, she gave it to me off label and told me it was for heavy periods. Had that not been said, I wouldnt have taken it, and this wouldnt have happened! It is too late now!
I have been suffering so much, and so scared about whether or not this is the proper treatment taking 60 mg's of valium a day that is oddly barely effecting me.The reaction changed me physically and mentally, and I need the proper treatment for both. I am doing what the psychiatrist says for now, its all I can do. But I am so scared about what will happen next without further help. All I want is my mind to work right again, to feel right again, and to laugh and love again. In Limbo, and praying for a miracle!Sincerely,Jennifer Connelley
Mjstac@comcast.net
Thank you for all your time I appreciate it so very much, and really need to be tossed a lifeline here. What happend to me wasnt my fault!!!!! It was a drug reaction/medical mistake that no one can figure out or help. PLEASE try to get me some help if you can. I dont know if there is anyone willing to help me without insurance, but I am praying for that none the less. Praying to hear from you soon!
Sincerely,Jennifer Connelley
Anyone reading this, if you know of anyone in the medical profession/psychiatrist,Lawyer, etc. who might be interested in my case, please pass on my story. I NEED HELP and am barely hanging on by a thread. I cant take this much longer!!
previously some seizure history and 2 abnormal Mri's 2/07and 8/29/08.

2 comments:

  1. Withdrawal from Diazepam and Valium can cause these symptoms. They are benzodiazepenes, and they are very dangerous drugs. My son was on several for epilepsy, and his brain is still resetting, even though it has been over a year since his last benzo pill. Please see this! http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzcha03.htm

    ReplyDelete